DreamHost. It was alright. Not a dream, though. An expiring discount wanes along with the realization that this blog rests decidedly along the more leisurely stagnant slope. So, to preserve the lifeless, I sought out the aid of MakeUseOf Deals to find and even better deal with the delightfully named WebHostFace. They actually seem quite helpful and responsive, are full on with the Let’s Encrypt movement, have all the cPanelz, PHPz and SQLz, and their Softaculous module installer thing is nifty, if only to browse what sort of things are out there.
After I got back from the US, I finally got the welcome mail to the new Textdrive servers. I transferred everything and got this blog up and running again. I’ll have to go through and make updates from earlier in the year, but at least the server transition went well. I had actually requested an EU server so things might have to be changed again. In the mean time, I ran into some difficulties with mail service on the new system. Reading the discussion groups led me to several comments that “it might be highly recommended” to use Google Apps for mail rather than the default local sendmail. This would mean turning over the last of any imaginary perceived control to giant global corporations, but I had a look and signed up for the free individual ( < 9 accounts ) domain service. Google Apps seemed like quite a great thing, but I couldn’t quite test it all out owing to non-access to MX records unless I change my DNS … to make a short story long … I figured there was no hurry. This morning I noticed a little Wired post entitled “Say Goodbye to Free Google Apps.” It looks like the free accounts ceased to exist on December 6th. Usually being the one to find out about such occurrences a day late, it is with thankfulness that my haste to set up mail allowed me to get one of the last remaining free individual slots before they faded away.