Tag Archives: DNS

Re-Textdrive

After I got back from the US, I finally got the welcome mail to the new Textdrive servers. I transferred everything and got this blog up and running again. I’ll have to go through and make updates from earlier in the year, but at least the server transition went well. I had actually requested an EU server so things might have to be changed again. In the mean time, I ran into some difficulties with mail service on the new system. Reading the discussion groups led me to several comments that “it might be highly recommended” to use Google Apps for mail rather than the default local sendmail. This would mean turning over the last of any imaginary perceived control to giant global corporations, but I had a look and signed up for the free individual ( < 9 accounts ) domain service. Google Apps seemed like quite a great thing, but I couldn’t quite test it all out owing to non-access to MX records unless I change my DNS … to make a short story long … I figured there was no hurry. This morning I noticed a little Wired post entitled “Say Goodbye to Free Google Apps.” It looks like the free accounts ceased to exist on December 6th. Usually being the one to find out about such occurrences a day late, it is with thankfulness that my haste to set up mail allowed me to get one of the last remaining free individual slots before they faded away.

New WordPress

I’ve been updating this blog on a new server. I haven’t for a long time but the host is getting rid of the old stuff and the deadline is approaching fast. Unfortunately there is no way for them to do the migration for me so I’ve been having to delve into the intricacies of SQL and the new Solaris (which is totally new to me – last time I did such a thing it was in transition between SunOS and Solaris). I get something working and then it turns out that old SQL defaulted to Latin1 encoding with Swedish for some bizarre reason and nowadays things want to be utf8 collation. You cannot just do a command to switch. It involves a total database conversion to binary table by table with different commands for each field. Then another such conversion from “BLOB” to utf8! God! This, of course is the least important of anything because I gotta do the mail server and procmail configuration and all this too before swapping DNS setting. Oh well. At least this is a post. I’ll try to back fill the last bit so it’s not quite so sparse. Ta.